As part of our commitment to tackle pensioner poverty and better understand our customers we have been working with AGE UK. In 2011 they undertook research to help staff in our annuities call centre to improve their understanding and empathy with our customers.
Following the research, a practical programme was delivered which specifically aimed to:
- improve understanding of the medical and emotional challenges that people face as they get older;
- help employees recognise issues and ask the right questions to determine if the customer has needs that should be taken into account during the call;
- provide signposting to Age UK services and other support networks enhancing the service provided by Legal & General;
- provide guidance on what can and should be done if a customer’s wellbeing is in question; and
- be aware of sight and hearing issues that may require adaptation of print size on documents or alternative methods of communication.