Health and wellbeing – #fitforthefuture
Both our UK and US businesses invest in health and wellbeing programmes
In the UK health and wellbeing is a core part of our engagement strategy. We launched new health and wellbeing proposals in 2015 under the ‘My Health, My Money, My Life’, wellbeing identity across the group.
Our strategic approach is that we want everyone to ‘be better’ in the key areas of health, money, life and performance.
Time to Change
One of our key areas of focus in 2015 was our support of our pledge to the ‘Time to Change’ campaign to remove mental health stigma and discrimination in the workplace.
- Reviewing training programmes, materials and support we offer to colleagues such as coping with stress, resilience, mindfulness, dealing with change and depression, to ensure consistency of approach.
- Launching the Time to Change #Smallthings campaign for ‘Time to Talk’ day in February 2015 to encourage employees to use the promotional materials in team meetings and hold tea and talk sessions.
- Supporting World Mental Health Day, which took place over the weekend of Saturday, 10 October. Time to Change campaign - #smallthings.
- Accepting the ‘Pledge Alumni status’, from ‘Time to Change’ in 2015, to drive forward activity tackling the stigma of mental health in the workplace
- Co-hosting a dinner with Lord Dennis Stevenson from the mental health research charity MQ, for senior business leaders for World Mental Health day
- Joining City Mental Health Alliance in November 2015, a collaborative venture founded by City businesses. The Alliance aims to create a culture of good mental health for City workers, share best practice and increase mental health understanding.
- In September 2015 we launched the Kelaa Mental Resilience app in conjunction with our partnership with Stepjockey and Soma Analytics.
The app gives techniques to help manage stress and boosts mood and mental resilience linking mental wellness with exercise, such as using the stairs instead of taking the lift.
A stair walking challenge was launched on 1 November 2015. A total of 181,092 calories were burned and 1,889,155 steps were taken during the challenge
Legal & General America is devoted to cultivating the health and well-being of our employees and families. By implementing a holistic approach, our program provides guidance on living and maintaining a healthy lifestyle at work and home. We have a dedicated wellness committee who plans a diverse mix of events and monthly seminars: Yoga, CPR, Body Composition, juicing, flu shots, fitness challenge, smoothie seminar and more.
“Healthy Maryland Business is a statewide movement to create a culture of wellness – an environment where the healthiest choice is easy.”
Healthiest Maryland offers tools and programs to help organizations create and implement strategic wellness plans as well as promotes policy and environmental changes.
2015 fun and fitness challenge
We challenged our staff to a four-week challenge where participants worked in teams of four to complete tasks assigned within the fun and fitness challenge calendar.
Prior to the start of the challenge, each participant was provided an opportunity for a health assessment, including weight, body mass index, body fat percentage, and body measurements.
At the end of each week, each participant completed a worksheet and submitted the points that they earned for the week.
At the end of the challenge, the participants could have another health assessment (voluntary) and then:
All points were tallied and recognition was given to those with the most points and most weight lost as an individual and as a team.
- 68 people accepted the challenge
- Congratulations to the 21 participants that weighed in at the end of the challenge, collectively they lost 31.2 pounds (not all participants completed a weigh in at the end of the challenge)
Our US health fairs are designed to provide basic preventive medicine and medical screening to our employees at work.
October – 2015: We had over 220 participants attend the health fair in October 2015, a free event for our employees and their families. The event featured:
- Information table: Sharing wellness resources: seminars, consultations, health assessment, library (wellness book), articles and recipes posted on the intranet.
- Consultation: a body composition analysis for employees which describes the percentages of fat, bone, water and muscle in their body.
- Flu Shots: Our onsite flu clinic provided 140 employees and their family members their 2015 flu vaccine.
- Yoga: SolYoga was on-site to assist our employees with relaxation techniques and massages.
- Anytime Fitness: Gym membership – Free one week trial offered